The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is available for online FAFSA submittals and is accessible through the FAFSA web site www.fafsa.gov. The retrieval tool allows FAFSA applicants and parents with the ability to transfer their income information from the IRS to the FAFSA. See below.
For the 2013-2014 Award Year ALL FAFSA on the Web (FOTW) applicants and parents of dependent applicants who indicate they have filed or will file a 2012 federal tax return will be directed to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to report and/or update their income information on the FAFSA.
BENEFITS OF USING THE TOOL:
- Applicants can complete their FAFSA more easily and accurately!
- The tool will increase the accuracy in the awarding for student financial aid funds!
- Applicants selected for verification can use the tool to update their income information and avoid unnecessary processing delays!
Please click on the following link below for a brief tutorial and guide: FAFSA - IRS Data Retrieval tool Youtube video
WHO IS “NOT” ELIGIBLE TO USE THE TOOL?
- Married couples who file separate tax returns.
- Applicants whose marital status has changed as of January 1st, 2013.
- Applicants who are neither eligible nor required to file a 2012 Federal Tax Return.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
- January 1, 2013 – students may begin to submit their FAFSA applications for 2013-2014
- February 1, 2013 – access to the FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Tool expected to be available
- May1, 2013 – priority funding consideration deadline
Should you have any questions, contact the PMC Financial Aid Office at 617-731-7129