Director, College Composition
Assistant Professor, English Composition
Haldan Hall 138
- M.F.A., Writing, Vermont College, 1997
- B.S., Education, Lesley College, 1977
- Radcliffe Seminars, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Advanced Poetry Workshops, 1979-1981
- Pine Manor College
- Director of College Composition, 2006-present
Supervise adjunct faculty and coordinate program. Compile program data for quality assurance and annual report. Identify program goals and budget requirements. Lead spring planning workshop for fall curriculum, select materials appropriate to the multicultural classroom and coordinate with faculty across disciplines. Secure community partnerships for service learning opportunities.
- Acting Program Coordinator of English Composition, January, 2004
- Assistant Professor of English Composition, 2002-present.
Teach courses in English Composition, Fiction, Portfolio Learning Seminars and First Year Seminars. Faculty advisor to Conifers, the Pine Manor Literary Magazine. Faculty advisor to LOVES, and first and second year students. Portfolio Development Committee member. Academic Ethics Committee member. Recruitment and Retention Committee member. Library Advisory Committee member.
Head Tennis Coach, 2003-2005
Responsible for developing the tennis program through player recruitment, developing community partnerships and coordinating special events.
Adjunct Faculty, 2000-2002. Taught courses in English Composition.
- Addison Wesley Higher Education Tutor Center
- English Specialist, 2001-2007.
Provide on-line tutoring to students from colleges across the nation and Canada. Instruction covers material from Addison Wesley and Pearson Education textbooks. Provide 1:1 instruction in Composition, Literature, Poetry, Communications, Public Speaking and Career Services. Other responsibilities include copy writing and editing for the Tutor Center web site, newsletter and promotional materials.
- Lasell College
- Humanities Lecturer, 2000-2001.
Taught courses in Basic Writing, Composition, Business Writing and Professional Communications.
Other Professional Experience
- Social Service Centers, Lexington, MA
- Clinical Director, 1990-2000.
Provided clinical supervision to achieve quality outcomes measured by Massachusetts certification standards for residential treatment of developmentally delayed adults. Supervised program managers and professional consultants. Served as ISP point person. Taught in-service workshops in Assessment and Report Writing; Basic Writing Skills; Sexual Abuse Prevention; Diversity; Effective Communications; Team Building; Creating Meaningful ISP’s; Crisis Prevention; and Advocacy. Responsibilities included: Writing RFP’s, grants and proposals; serving as liaison to DMR, professional, family and community groups; coordinating in-service training; providing leadership to insure the implementation of the agency’s mission for excellence.
- Selected for “Best Practices” 1997-1999
Lectures and Activities
- Keynote Speaker for Honors Ceremony, Pine Manor College, 2005
- Guest Speaker, Celebrating Ourselves, The Hey Sister Program, 2005
- Community Partnership Coordinator, The Hey Sister Program, 2004 and 2005
- Poetry Slam Judge, LOVES, 2004 and 2005
- Guest Speaker, Leslie Allen Foundation, Win 4 Life Weekend, 2004
- Poetry Lecture and Reading, Pine Manor College, 2003
- Celebrate National Poetry Month, New Words, 2001
- Literary Discussion Group, Grolier Poetry Book Shop, 2000
- Making Meaningful Text, Cambridgeport Press, 1999
- Guest Lecturer, Portsmouth Writers Series, 1998
- Community Partnerships, Lexington Chamber of Commerce, 1998
- Supporting People with Complex Needs, Best Practices Series, 1998
- Developing Quality Outcomes, Quality Enhancement Seminars, 1997
- What’s Under the Hood? The Mechanics of Free Verse, Vermont College, 1997
Awards and Publications
- Ruth Stone Poetry Prize Finalist, 2007
- Honorary Induction to Alpha Chi, 2005
- Sow’s Ear Annual Poetry Prize Finalist, 2000
- The Ron H. Bayes Poetry Prize Finalist, 1998
- The “Discovery”/Nation Award Semi- finalist, 1998
- Grolier Poetry Prize Winner, 1996