The workplace of today and tomorrow requires that all college graduates have a fundamental understanding of basic mathematical concepts and operations. It is also essential that employees utilize problem-solving skills on a daily basis. To assist students in their preparation for entry into the workplace and/or postgraduate education, Pine Manor College requires that all students complete the College's quantitative reasoning (QR) requirement.
Learning Outcomes of Quantitative Reasoning
- Students will be able to use mathematical expressions that are involved in real applications, and to use these expressions to solve applied problems. This includes writing mathematical expressions to represent relationships, and interpreting what a mathematical expression represents.
- Students will be able to determine whether problem solutions are reasonable, and to estimate the numeric value of a solution.
- Students will be able to recognize patterns and to use inductive reasoning.
- Students will be able to interpret graphs of various types an to represent data and relationships visually.
- Students will be able to understand the relationship between numbers, and should develop a "number sense."