Pine Manor College has been awarded a $10,000 NCAA Division III Initiative Grant to help enhance PMC student-athletes’ awareness of, understanding of, and respect for cultural and ethnic diversity on individual teams, in our athletic program, and throughout our college community. The following five new components will be introduced to our athletic planning:
- A one-day diversity training for our coaches by an outside facilitator.
- A service learning project for all student-athletes and coaches centering on diversity (topic to be determined by student-athletes and coaches).
- A January 2005 overnight retreat for all student-athletes and coaches with diversity exercises centering on fall team experiences and the service learning project; the coaches will implement what they learned from working with the outside facilitator in the fall.
- An annual award to be given to someone who has made a significant contribution to promoting diversity in athletics (with day-long roundtable discussions, lecture, and subsequent discussion).
- Diversity assessment questionnaires (and subsequent team discussion) to be conducted at the beginning and end of each team’s season.
Wed, December 1, 2004
by Pine Manor College