Hope for Tomorrow: In Memory of September 11, 2001
Hope is the heart that has compassion. Joy is all hands joined together. Love is the light that frees all people. Now is the time for peace.
Joan Kelley ’00
The following is a list of events at Pine Manor College memorializing 9/11. You are welcome to participate in any of these events as they fit around your regularly scheduled classes and commitments. Please remember that all regularly scheduled classes and activities will be held.
- 8:30 a.m.: The flag is lowered to half-staff Anyone who wishes to use this as a moment of reflection is invited to be present as the flag is lowered.
Beginning at 12 Noon and continuing throughout the day:
Tables will be set up in the Campus Center throughout the afternoon. The Pine Manor College Community is invited to use the available art supplies and participate as your schedule permits.
- Make a flag from your country of origin to be posted around the Ashby Campus Center Atrium
- Make a paper lantern that will be used to hold the candles at a vigil to be held in the evening. Campus Center Atrium
- Sign the banner that declares: "We Support a Hate-free School and Community." At the end of the day we will hang this banner from the Campus Center balcony. Campus Center Atrium
- "A message to the world" - write a message of peace and hope to the world on any of the three maps displayed throughout campus. There will be a map in the Ashby Campus Center, one in the Ferry Administration Building and one in Haldan Hall.
- Revolving "Hot topics" - Campus Center Meditation Room
- 1:00 p.m.: Nationalism/Patriotism: Unifying of Divisive
- 2:00 p.m.: Thoughts on the University of North Carolina @Chapel Hill choosing the Qu'ran as the school-wide required reading
- 3:00 p.m.: Racial/ethnic profiling: Security or loss of Civil Liberties.
- 5:30 p.m.: Gather in the Ashby Campus Center Atrium for a community "moment of silence". Candlelight vigil to the Circle (in front of the Ferry Administration Building)
- 7:00 p.m.: Community Discussion - Presidents' Dining Room. September 11, reflecting on a year of events, politics and policies: some assessment of the first year of the "war on terrorism"
All members of the Pine Manor College Community are invited to share their ideas and opinions. Feel free to stop in for all or any portion of these conversations, as your schedule permits.
Sun, September 1, 2002
by Pine Manor College