Associate Professor, Biology
- Ph.D., Immunology, Tufts University, 1980
- B.A., Zoology, Connecticut College, 1971
- Associate Professor, 2008-present
Assistant Professor, 2005–2008
Department of Biology, Pine Manor College, Chestnut Hill, MA.
- Visiting Associate Professor, 2006-2007
Department of Biology, Northeastern University, Boston, MA.
- Visiting Assistant Professor, 2002 – 2005
Department of Biology, St. Joseph’s University, Philadelphia, PA.
- Instructor, Senior Research Associate, 1998-2002
Adjunct Instructor, 2002-2005
Kimmel Cancer Center, Jefferson College of Graduate Studies, Philadelphia, PA.
- Senior Research Associate, 1987-1998
Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA.
- Principal Investigator, 1984-1987
Department of Molecular Biology, Dupont Experimental Station, Wilmington, DE.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, 1980-1984
Laboratory of Molecular Oncology, National Cancer Institute, NIH Bethesda and Frederick, MD.
- Graduate Student, 1975-1980
Immunology Committee, Department of Pathology
Tufts University School of Medicine and The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
- Senior Research Assistant, 1974-1976
Department of Surgical Research, Harvard Medical School
- Research Assistant, 1971-1974
Microbiology Department, Harvard School of Public Health
- 1981-1984 Course Assistant (‘81-83), Course Instructor (’84)
Advanced Bacterial Genetics
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Summer Courses
- 1996-2005 Guest lecturer, Germantown Friends School, Philadelpia, PA.
Advanced Biology Course
- 1998- 2005 Thomas Jefferson University School of Graduate Studies
Courses taught included: Microbial Biochemistry and Microbiology
- 2002-2005 St. Joseph’s University, Philadelphia, PA.
Courses taught for Biology students included: Cell Biology, Advanced Cell Biology, Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Microbiology, Immunology, Virology, Graduate Virology, Graduate Seminar
Courses taught for students with a non-science concentration included: The Human Organism and Heredity and Evolution
- 2005 – Present Pine Manor College, Chestnut Hill, MA.
Courses taught include: Principles of Biology, Evolution and Biodiversity, Biology Senior Internship, Cell Biology, Pathophysiology, Honors Course: “Disasters”
- 2006-2007 Northeastern University
Course taught: Genetics and Molecular Biology (lecture only)
- Pine Manor College
- Curriculum Committee, 2005-2007
- Quantitative Reasoning Committee, 2006-present
- Executive Committee, 2007-2009
- Academic Planning Committee, 2007-2009
- Commissioner, New Jersey Commission on Cancer Research, 2002- 2006
- Sigma Xi Scientific Honor Society, Thomas Jefferson Medical School and College of Graduate Studies
- Student Research Day, Organizer, 2000
- President of Sigma Xi, 2001
- Vice President of Sigma Xi, 2002
- Ruth Allinger Gibson ’26 Teaching Award Pine Manor College, 2007, 2008
- The Tosiello Faculty Award Pine Manor College, 2007, 2008
- Outstanding Professor, Sigma Delta Tau Award Northeastern University, 2007
- Wean Senior Faculty Professorship, Pine Manor College, Fall 2009
- 4th Pan-Hellenic Congress of Pharmacology with International Participation
Patras, Greece; invited participant, May 2006
- Genetics and Immunology Departments Retreat; invited participant, April 2006
Sackler School of Graduate Biomedical Studies, Tufts University
- Strategies for Success, April 2007
Interactive Learning Workshop, Mass Bass Community College (Sponsored by Benjamin/Cummings Publishers)
- ACCESS Coalition Retreat; invited participant
Reading and Writing across the Disciplines
Pine Manor College, May 2007
- American Society of Hematology, Annual Meeting, December 2007
- Abstract accepted for plenary session presentation: “Members of a family of JmjC domain containing oncoproteins immortalize embryonic fibroblasts in culture via a JmjC domain-dependent process”, R. Pfau, A. Tzatsos, S. Kampranis, O. Serebrennikova, S. Bear and P. Tsichlis
- Watson, RR, Mull, JD, MacDonald, AB, Thompson III, SE, Bear, SE. 1973. Immunity to chlamydial infections of the eye. II. Studies of passively transferred serum antibody in resistance to infection with guinea pig inclusion conjunctivitis. Infect Immun. 7(4): 597.
- Sonis, ST, Stelos, P., Bear, SE, Fitzgerald, MA, Wilson, RE. 1975. The immune response of mice repeatedly injfected with allogeneic tumor cells. Transplantation. 20(5): 399-403.
- Modabber, F., Bear, SE, Cerny, J. 1976. The effect of cyclophosphamide on the recovery from a local chlamydial infection: guinea pig inclusion conjunctivitis (GPIC). Immunology. 30(6): 929-33.
- Sonis, ST, Stelos, P, Fitzgerald, MA, Bear, SE, Wilson, RE. 1976. The role of effector cells and antiserum in the inhibition of cell-mediated cytotoxicity of allogeneic tumor cells. Transplantation. 22(1): 52.
- Bear, SE, Tsichlis, PN, Schwartz, RS. 1980. H-2 mediated resistance to an ecotropic type C retrovirus: localization of controlling genes and ontogenic studies of resistance. Immunogenetics 11:95): 451.
- Bear, SE, Colberg-Poley, AM, Court, DL, Carter, BJ, Enquist, LW. 1984. Analysis of two potential shuttle vectors containing herpes simplex virus defective DNA. J. Mol. Appl. Genet 2:95): 471.
- Bear, SE, Court, DL, Friedman, DI. 1984. An accessory role for Escherichia coli integration host factor: characterization of a lambda mutant dependent upon integration host factor for DNA packaging. J. Virology 52(3) : 996.
- Bear, SE, Clemens, JB, Enquist, LW, Zagursky, RJ. 1987. Mutational analysis of the lambda int gene: DNA sequence of dominant mutations. J. Bacteriol. 169(12): 5880.
- Bellacosa, A., Lazo, PA, Bear, SE, Shinton, S, Tsichlis, PN. 1989. Induction of multiple independent T cell lymphomas in rats inoculated with Moloney murine leukemia virus. PNAS 86:4269.
- Tsichlis, PN, Shepherd, BM, Bear SE. 1989. Activation of the Mlvi-1/mis-1/pvt-1 locus in Moloney murine leukemia virus induced T cell lymphomas. PNAS 86:5487.
- Bear, SE, Bellacosa, A, Lazo, PA, Jenkins, NA, Copeland, NG, Hanson, C, Levan G, Tsichlis, PN, 1989. Provirus insertion in Tpl-2, an Ets-1 related oncogene associated with tumor progression in MoMuLV induced rat thymic lymphomas. PNAS 86: 7495.
- Tsichlis, PN, Lee, JS, Bear, SE, Lazo, P, Patriotis, C, Gustafson, E, Shinton, S, Jenkins, NA, Copeland, NG, Huebner, K, Croce, C, Levan, B, Hanson, C. 1990. Activation of multiple genes by provirus integration in the Mlvi-4 locus in T cell lymphomas induced by Moloney murine leukemia virus. J. Virology 64: 2236.
- Bear, SE and Tsichlis, PN. 1990. Retroviruses: biology and pathogenesis. Proceedings of the VIth EULAR Symposium (May 16-19) ed. by A. Andrianakos and P. Kaklamainis. G. Tagas & Co. Press, Athens, Greece.
- Bellacosa, A, Lazo, PA, Bear, SE, Tsichlis, PN. 1991. The rat leukocyte antigen MRC OX-44 is a member of a new family of surface proteins which appear to be involved in growth regulation. Mol.Cell Biol. 11:2864.
- Tsichlis, PN and Bear, SE. 1991. Infection by mink cell focus forming (MCF) viruses confers interleukin-2 (IL-2) independence to an IL-2 dependent rat T cell lymphoma line. PNAS 88:4611.
- Barker, CS, Bear, SE, Keler, T, Copeland, NG, Gilbert, DJ, Jenkins, NA, Yeung, RS, Tsichlis, PN. 1992. Activation of the prolactin receptor gene by promoter insertion in a Moloney leukemia virus-induced rat thymoma. J. Virol. 66: 6763.
- Patriotis, C, Makris, A, Bear, SE, Tsichlis, PN. 1993. Tumor progression locus-2 (Tpl-2) encodes a protein kinase involved in the progression of rodent T cell lyimphomas and in T cell activation. PNAS 90:2251.
- Makris, A, Patriotis,C, Bear, SE, Tsichlis, PN. 1993. Structure of a Moloney leukemia virus (MoMuLV)-virus-like 30(VL30) recombinant. Implications for the transduction of the c-Ha-ras proto-oncogene. J. Virol. 67:1286.
- Gilks, CB, Bear, SE, Grimes, HL, Tsichlis, PN. 1993. Progression of interleukin-2(IL-2) dependent rat T cell lymphoma lines to IL-2 independent growth following activation of a gene (Gfi-1) encoding a novel zinc finger protein. Mol.Cell.Biol. 13:1759.
- Makris, A, Patriotis, C, Bear, SE, Tsichlis, PN. 1993. Genomic organization and expression of Tpl-2 in normal cells and Moloney murine luekmia virus-induced rat T-cell lymphomas: activation by provirus insertion. J.Virol. 67:4283.
- Barker, C., Makris, A, Patriotis, C, Bear, SE, Tsichlis, PN. 1993. Identification of the gene encoding the mitochondrial elongation factor G in mammals. Nucl.Acids.Res. 21:2641.
- Bellacosa, A, Datta, K, Bear, SE, Patriotis, C, Lazo, PA, Copeland, NG, Jenkins, NA, Tsichlis, PN. 1994. Effects of provirus integration in the TPl-1/Ets-1 locus in MoMuLV induced rat T cell lyimphomas: Level of expression, polyadenylation, transcription initiation and differential splicing of the Ets-1 RNA. J. Virol. 68:2320.
- Flubacher, MM, Bear, SE, Tsichlis, PN. 1994. Replacement of IL-2 generated mitogenic signals by an MCF or xenotropic virus-induced IL-9 dependent autocrine loop. Implications for MCF virus-induced leukemogenesis. J. Virol. 68:7709.
- Tong, B, Grimes, HL, Yang, TY, Bear, SE, Qin, Z, Du, K, El-Deiry, WS, Tsichlis, PN. 1995. The Gfi-1B proto-oncoprotein represses p21WAF1 and inhibits myeloid differentiation. Mol. Cell Biol. 18(5):2462.
- Tsatsanis, C, Patriotis, C, Bear, SE, Tsichlis, PN. 1999. The Tpl-2 proto-oncoprotein activates NFAT and induces IL-2 expression in T cell lines. PNAS 95:3827.
- Lin, J-H, Makris, A, McMahan, C, Bear, SE, Patriotis, C, Prasad, VR, Brent, R, Golemis, E, Tsichlis, PN. 1999. The ankyrin repreat-containing adaptor protein Tvl-1 is a novel substrate and regulator of Raf-1. J. Biol.Chem. 274:14706.
- Doan, LL, Kitay, MK, Yu, Q, Singer, A, Herblot, S, Hoang, T, Bear, SE, Morse HC 3rd, Tsichlis, PN, Grimes, HL. 2003. Growth factor independence-1B expression leads to defects in T cell activation, IL-7 receptor alpha expression, and T cell lineage commitment. J. Immunol. 170(5):2356.
- Mao, C, Tilli, EG, Dose, M, Haks, M, Bear, SE, Maroulakou, I, Gaitanaris, GA, Fidanza, V, Ludwig, T, Wiest, DL, Gounari, F,Tsichlis, PN. 2007. Unequal contribution of Akt isoforms in the double negative to double positive thymocyte transition. J. Immunol. May 1:178(9): 5443-53.
- Pfau, R., Tzatsos, A., Kampranis, S.C., Serebrennikova, O.B., Bear, S.E., Tsichlis, P.N. 2008. Members of a family of JmjC domain-containing oncoproteins immortalize embryonic fibroblasts via a JmjC domain-dependent process. PNAS. 105(6):1907-1912.
- Bear, SE, Pfau, R, Daminaova, R, Tsichlis, PN. A genome-wide screen of provirus insertion sites in MoMuLV-induced rat T cell lymphomas indicates a high frequency of common integrations. In Preparation.