Select Page

Academic Policies

Course Credits

Student Status

Advanced Standing


The Grading System

Summer Session


Class Attendance

Academic Ethics and Integrity Policy



Nonacademic Suspension and Dismissal

Voluntary Withdrawal

Administrative Withdrawal Policy


Leave of Absence

Change of Address

Affidavit of Massachusetts Voter Registration



Course Credits

All courses at Pine Manor College follow the Federal Regulations regarding the award of credits: in a 15 week semester, 1 credit-hour requires one hour of direct instructional engagement (usually class meeting time), and the expectation of work outside of the classroom equivalent to at least two additional hours. Most courses at Pine Manor College are awarded four credits – therefore they meet for four hours of instructional engagement each week, and have work expectations of eight additional hours outside of class. Courses that meet less frequently are awarded fewer credits; courses that have laboratory periods, or extensive internship experiences are awarded more than four credits. Any variation is noted in the description for each course.

Student Status

Students may enroll at Pine Manor College as degree or non-degree students.

Degree Student

Degree students are those who are admitted as matriculated students. Degree students may enroll full-time or part-time. Full-time students are those enrolled for a minimum of 12 credits each semester.

Special Students

Special students are those who are enrolled in credit courses under certain circumstances (e.g., a reduced load).
High school students may enroll for credit in PMC courses as special students, with permission of the Registrar and the instructor of the course(s) they wish to take.

Advanced Standing

Transfer Credit Policy

The number of credits granted for prior college-level work is determined by the Registrar. Pine Manor College will only grant credit for courses in which the applicant earned a grade of ‘C’ or higher. Grades earned at other institutions do not affect a student’s cumulative Grade Point Average at Pine Manor College.

A student entering with previous college credits may apply up to 32 semester hours of credit towards the A.A. or A.S. degree, or up to 96 semester hours towards the B.A. degree. The faculty members in each academic department determine whether courses taken ten years ago or longer may fill major requirements or be transferred in as elective credit.

A student entering Pine Manor College with an Associate’s Degree and 60 credits will be given Junior status and will need to complete an additional 68 Pine Manor credits to graduate with a B.A. or B.S. with a total minimum of 128 credits.  Students must meet all other degree requirements.

A student entering Pine Manor College without an Associate’s Degree, or a Pine Manor student who transfers in 2 or more courses taken at another institution awarding 3 credits per course, will be required to complete a minimum of 62 credits for the degree of A.A or A.S, or a minimum of 128 credits for the degree of B.A.  All students must meet all other degree requirements.

Equitable credit for military experience is awarded in accordance with the American Council on Education’s guidelines for Registrar’s.

Advanced Placement

Advanced status is granted by the Registrar in consultation with the faculty members of the courses involved.

Advanced Placement Exams

An applicant may seek Advanced Placement by submitting a transcript of previous grades and scores of the advanced placement tests of the College Entrance Examination Board or CLEP (College Level Examination Program) to the Registrar’s Office. Pine Manor College grants 4 credits for each advanced placement test score of 3 and above. These credits count toward those required for the degree, including credit for non-signature general education or group distribution courses. The courses may count toward a student’s major requirements with departmental approval.


International Baccalaureate

International Baccalaureate Diploma recipients are granted credit for up to one full year (32 credits) toward a degree at Pine Manor College. Inter-national Baccalaureate Certificate recipients receive course credit for each examination passed with a score of 4 or higher. International Baccalaureate credits may be counted toward the General Education requirements or electives. Decisions on the use of International Baccalaureate courses to meet major requirements are made by academic departments on a case by case basis.

CLEP Exams

CLEP offers degree candidates the opportunity to earn college credit by examination. CLEP exams are open to all students. CLEP scores should be submitted after a student has successfully earned 8 credits at the College, but before completion of the final 32 credits toward the degree. The College grants credit for CLEP subject examinations when students are at or above the current level recommended by the Council on the College-Level Examinations for each individual examination or discipline. The Registrar has a list of CLEP subject examinations with the acceptable cutoff scores approved by the College. A nonrefundable fee of $5 per CLEP exam submitted for credit must accompany the application and official documentation of the exam score.


Faculty Advising

First-year students are advised by their First Year Seminar instructors. At the beginning of their sophomore year students may choose or be reassigned to an advisor within their chosen major or area of interest.

Integrated Advising Team

The Integrated Advising Team meets weekly to oversee the advising process in general and to review concerns regarding individual students. It is chaired by the Assistant Dean for Student Success and includes the Dean of the College representatives from the faculty, the Learning Resource Center, Student Life, and the Registrar.

Declaration of Major

All students are expected to declare a major by the end of the sophomore year. Any student who changes her major after the first semester of the junior year is cautioned that she may require an additional semester(s) to complete her degree. Double majors must be verified by the Registrar and approved by the faculty in each academic department.

The Grading System

The quality of a student’s course work is indicated by grades with the following significance:

Weak PassD


  • AU Course audit. Audits do not earn credit or affect the GPA.
  • CR This grade reflects performance at the level of “C” or better when a course is taken on a Credit/No Credit basis.
  • I Incomplete course work.
  • NC No credit. This grade reflects performance at or below that of “C-” when the course is taken on a Credit/No Credit basis.
  • W Course withdrawal between the end of ADD/DROP period and last day to withdraw. This grade is not used in the computation of the GPA.
  • R Failed course successfully repeated for credit at PMC.

Incomplete Grades

The grade of Incomplete (I) is given primarily for illness or some other serious situation in a student’s life occurring at the end of the term that makes it difficult for her to complete her final requirements. Such illness or special circumstances must be documented. Ordinarily, a student should have completed at least 75 percent of the course requirements to be eligible for an Incomplete. Any student wishing to receive an Incomplete must first speak with her instructor, who in turn must complete the appropriate form and submit it to the Integrated Advising Team. The Integrated Advising Team will make the final decision about whether an Incomplete is granted. Incomplete work must be completed and a final grade received by the Registrar by the fifth week of the subsequent semester, unless an earlier or later date is specified on the Incomplete form or unless a specific extension is granted. If an extension is sought and granted, it must have the signature of the instructor, the student (if possible), and the Integrated Advising Team. Incompletes remaining after the deadline will automatically be switched to a course grade based on completed requirements with zero percentage for all work not submitted.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

The semester GPA is calculated by dividing the total number of quality points by the total number of credits in a semester. The grade of “F” is included in the calculation (see Repeating a Course below); transfer credits and grades of “I,” “CR,” “NC,” and “W” are not. The number of quality points earned by a course equals the numerical value of a grade multiplied by the number of credits for the course. For example, a grade of “C” equals 2.0 x 4 credits = 8 quality points.

The cumulative GPA is calculated by dividing the total number of all semester quality points by the total number of credits toward the cumulative GPA for all semesters.

A student must achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 to earn the B.A., A.A., or A.S. degree.

Early and Midterm Grades

Early and Midterm grades are issued to students after the first third and second third of each semester. Any grade of “C-” or below is considered a mid-term warning. Grades are sent to the student, with copies to the advisor and the Integrated Advising Team. Students are expected to meet with their instructors and advisors to discuss midterm warnings.

Grade Grievance Policy

If a student wishes to appeal a grade, she should first discuss the matter with her instructor. If no agreement is reached, she should discuss her grievance with the Faculty Chair. If there is still no agreement, she may appeal in writing to the Academic Standards Committee (a subgroup of the Curriculum Committee). In such cases, the instructor and Faculty Chair are asked to submit reports. The decision of the Academic Standards Committee is final. A time limit is placed on a student’s request for a grade change based on anything other than a clerical error. Application must be made by a student within one year of completion of the course. Any change of grade, other than from an Incomplete to a letter grade, must be approved by the Academic Standards Committee.

Grade Reports and Transcripts

Grade reports are posted by the Registrar at the end of each semester and summer sessions on the Student Portal. Copies may be sent to students and parents upon written request to the Registrar’s Office and in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. Students must request transcripts of their academic record at the Registrar’s Office in writing, including their written signature, with payment of $5 per copy, payable to Pine Manor College, and completion of financial obligations to the College.

Repeating a Course

With limited exceptions, a student may only repeat a course in which she earned the grade of “F.” When such a course is repeated with a passing grade, only the new grade is used in computing the cumulative grade point average. However, the “F” grade is not removed from the student transcript and the failing grade is calculated in the term GPA. An “R” will appear to indicate a repeated course grade on the transcript. If a failed course is successfully completed elsewhere, the new grade is reported as credit only and does not affect the GPA. If a course is failed more than once, only one “F” is affected when the course is repeated and passed.

Summer Session

Pine Manor College offers intensive sessions during the summer. Credit will be applied toward the PMC degree, and grades will be calculated in the student’s GPA.


Alpha Chi Honor Society

Pine Manor College is a member of Alpha Chi, a national honor society established to recognize academic achievement in all disciplines. Professor William Stargard is the faculty advisor to Alpha Chi. To be eligible for membership, a student must:
1. Be pursuing a degree.
2. Be a junior or senior, as defined by academic credit.
3. Have completed one year of academic residency.
4. Have a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or better.
5. Have earned a semester grade point average of 3.75 or higher in one semester of her junior or senior year.

Honors for the Bachelor of Arts

Those B.A. students who have achieved a superior academic record for their four years are recognized at Commencement. To be eligible to graduate with honors, a student must complete a minimum of 64 semester hours at PMC, and her cumulative GPA must be:
summa cum laude 3.75 or higher
magna cum laude 3.50–3.74
cum laude 3.20–3.49

Students who are graduating with academic honors based on their cumulative GPA will wear an honor cord at Commencement. There are separate cords based on honors status:

cum laude = green cord
magna cum laude = green and white cord
summa cum laude = green, white and black cord

Honors for the Associate Degree

A.A. or A.S. recipients who have achieved a superior academic record are recognized at Commencement. To earn this distinction, the student must complete her degree with a cumulative GPA as follows:
high honors 3.50 or higher
honors 3.20–3.49

Honors Seminars

Honors seminars are offered on a variety of topics every year to first and second year students with a 3.2 GPA, or by invitation.

Semester Honors

To earn semester honors, a student must have completed at least 8 credits in courses in which a letter grade is assigned and earn a semester GPA as follows:
high honors 3.50 or higher
honors 3.20–3.49

Class Attendance

Students are expected to attend classes regularly and in conformity with instructors’ policies and expectations as outlined in syllabi and in class. Students who miss class are responsible for notifying their faculty and making up outstanding work, as required. The Dean’s office does not provide “excused absences,” but will notify faculty regarding a student’s anticipated prolonged absence, if requested to do so.

When a course is over-enrolled, the instructor may drop a registered student from the class if he or she has failed to attend the equivalent of the first week of class after consulting with the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs and informing the Registrar’s Office.

Pine Manor College complies with Chapter 375, Section 2B, of the General Laws of Massachusetts, which states that: “Any student…who is unable, because of religious beliefs, to attend classes or to participate in any examination, study, or work requirement on a particular day shall be excused from any such examination, study, or work requirement and shall be provided with an opportunity to make up such examination, study, or work requirement which he may have missed because of such absence on any particular day; provided, however, that such make-up examination or work shall not create an unreasonable burden upon such school. No fees of any kind shall be charged by the institution for making available to the said student such opportunity. No adverse or prejudicial effects shall result to any student because of his availing himself of the provisions of this section.”

Any student at the College who wishes to take advantage of the above provision must inform the instructor in writing.

Attendance Policy for Student-Athletes

As a member institution of the NCAA, we are required to make it possible for our student-athletes to participate in athletic competitions. That means that faculty need to count a student athlete’s missed class due to an athletic competition as an excused absence. The student-athlete is still required to do all the assigned academic work. The NCAA policy applies only to athletic competitions; it does not apply to team practices. If a student-athlete misses a class because of practice, it counts as an absence.

General Guidelines:

  • All student-athletes are required to communicate with their professors in advance of a missed class due to an athletic competition, so as to know what the expectations are for making up/completing missed work.
  • If a student-athlete will have to miss class in order to participate in an athletic competition, the student-athlete is required to turn in all homework or a paper(s) due that day, before leaving for the athletic competition.
  • Practice and returning late from an athletic competition the night before is never an excuse for missing a class.
  • A faculty member may ask the head coach to administer a test during the trip to an athletic competition to prevent any advantage to the student-athlete from occurring.
  • A faculty member should contact CARES if there are any issues about a student-athlete’s unexcused absences. CARES will forward the concern to the coach and the academic advisor.

Final Examinations

The Registrar’s Office schedules final examinations. A student is expected to take each examination as scheduled. Students may request that a final exam be rescheduled only when they have three or more exams on the same calendar day or two exams simultaneously. In such instances, they should report to the Registrar’s Office no later than four weeks before final exam week begins to reschedule one exam. Under no circumstances are students allowed to take final exams early or to reschedule exams other than with the approval of the Dean of the College. Travel conflicts are not considered grounds for rescheduling or missing an exam. Any unexcused absence from a final exam results in a failing grade of zero on the exam.

Academic Ethics and Integrity Policy

Members of an academic community have a responsibility to present work that is truly their own. Cheating and plagiarizing the work of others are serious offenses that undermine the spirit of truth in all areas of college life. As members of the PMC community, students are expected to familiarize themselves with the College’s academic ethics code. Proper documentation is discussed in English Writing courses, among others (also refer to the Student Handbook for the ethics code and judicial procedure).  It is the responsibility of the instructor in a particular class to clarify specific applications of the Academic Ethics Policy.

A.  Plagiarism is intentionally or unintentionally using someone else’s words or thoughts without giving proper credit.  Examples include but are not limited to:

  1. A direct quotation must be acknowledged and documented properly. The sources of        information must be outlined in a list of works cited.
  2. The source of all paraphrased or summarized material must be acknowledged.
  3. Indebtedness to the work of others, whether in the form of ideas, laboratory results, artistic work, computer programs, etc., must be acknowledged.
  4. False or misleading citations of sources constitute plagiarism.

B. Cheating is attempting to present as one’s own work that work that one has not performed/produced, or using improper means to pass an examination.  Examples include, but are not limited to:

  1. The sharing of unauthorized information regarding specific content of examinations during the examination period is not allowed, nor is the use of books, notes,or other material without the instructor’s permission.
  2. The discussion of any aspect of the examination before all students have completed it.
  3. Students may not speak or otherwise communicate with one another in English or any other language or manner during an examination.
  4. A student may not submit work s/he has not done her/himself.  This includes papers, projects, homework assignments, computer programs, etc.
  5. Submission of the same paper or assignment, or material portions thereof, for more than one course is not allowed, except by both instructors’ approval and in accordance with criteria established by each of them.
  6. The falsification of research data.
  7. Preventing student or faulty access to course material.  This includes mutilating or stealing library materials or disabling computer equipment, databases, or other technology.

C. Other violations may include:

  1. Failure to follow any other explicit regulation or expectation announced by the instructor, and/or circulated to each student.  It is the responsibility of the student to confer with an instructor when procedures are unclear.
  2. Falsifying a signature on any official College document.
  3. Altering the contents and/or intent of any official College document.
  4. Intentionally or knowingly helping or attempting to help another violate any provision of this policy.

D. Student Rights and Responsibilities

1.  Student Rights:

  • Students have the right to be treated fairly, impartially, and promptly in matters related to Academic Ethics.
  • If a student disagrees with a faculty member’s actions under the Academic Ethics Policy, and is unable to arrive at a satisfactory resolution in discussion with that faculty member, s/he has the right to request in writing a hearing before the Academic Ethics Council.

2.  Student Responsibilities:

  • Students should review and be aware of the Academic Ethics Policy as included in the Student Handbook and in the Academic Catalog.
  • Students have the responsibility to adhere to appropriate rules of documentation.
  • Students have the responsibility to notify an instructor of any knowledge of suspected academic dishonesty and are responsible for informing a faculty member or an academic administrator of alleged violations.  The student should also expect the instructor to uphold the Academic Ethics Policy and to follow the procedures described below.

Process in Case of Violation of the Academic Ethics Code

Faculty Responsibilities:  Faculty must enforce the regulations and procedures in the Academic Ethics Policy, and take appropriate action in case of violations, as described below.

Faculty Procedures:  When a faculty member suspects that a violation of the Academic Ethics Code has taken place, she/he first meets with the student in question in order to determine the facts of the situation and to hear the student’s explanation. If the faculty member believes an infraction has occurred, within five business days of meeting with the student he or she writes a letter to the student summarizing the incident, the discussion, and any action the faculty member has decided to take.

The letter should include any relevant dates and a reminder of the student’s right to appeal the faculty member’s decision. The letter should also provide a space for the student to sign his/her name, indicating that s/he has received, read, and understands the contents of the letter.  A copy of the signed letter must be sent in a sealed, dated envelope to the Registrar for placement in the student’s official file. If the student does not return a signed letter, a copy of the unsigned letter should still be provided to the Registrar’s office. Letters detailing academic ethics violation are removed and destroyed upon the student’s completion of the Baccalaureate degree, or six years after s/he has left the College.

Should the student be the subject of more than one letter involving violations of the Academic Ethics Policy, the Academic Ethics Council will be convened automatically. Previous offenses, if any, will only be considered as factors in determining penalty.  Council actions may include acquittal, reprimand, loss of credit, suspension, or permanent dismissal.  A student has a right to appeal a decision made by this Council.

Academic Ethics Council Hearing Requests

If the student disagrees with the contents of the faculty member’s letter or wishes to appeal the faculty member’s decision, s/he may then request that the matter be considered by the Academic Ethics Council by submitting a written request to the Office of the Dean of the College within five days of the faculty member’s letter.  A hearing of the Academic Ethics Council will be convened upon such dispute. Notice of the hearing shall be sent to the College official who is designated by the College as a Student Advisor for the purposes of Academic Ethics Council hearings.  The role of the Student Advisor is to review with the student the procedures to be followed by the Academic Ethics Council and to provide support during the hearing if the student requests that the Student Advisor do so.

A student may not withdraw from a course to prevent action under the Academic Ethics Policy.

Degree Requirements

Degree and program requirements may be revised by vote of the faculty. Students are responsible for being familiar with and following the requirements stated in the Pine Manor College catalog of their year of entry. Students who are readmitted to the College following an absence of more than one calendar year must follow the major requirements of the catalog of the year of reentry. No undergraduate may be excused from the requirements stipulated in this catalog because she has not read this text. Students with unusual circumstances may appeal to the Academic Standards Committee (a subgroup of the Curriculum Committee).


Adding and Dropping Courses

A student may add or drop a course during the designated period at the beginning of a semester by obtaining approval signatures of the course instructor and the academic advisor and by signing and submitting the form to the Registrar’s Office by the deadline outlined in the current academic calendar. Students may not add or drop courses after the end of the Add/Drop period.

Withdrawal from a Course

After the end of the Add/Drop period, students may withdraw from courses with the grade of “W” until the last day to withdraw listed on the academic calendar. Official withdrawal from a course occurs only when the student has submitted a signed withdrawal form to the Registrar with the approval of the instructor and faculty advisor. Continued absence from class does not constitute official withdrawal.

Auditing Courses

Students who wish to attend a course without receiving credit may register to audit. Students who audit may not take examinations and may not submit papers. Students may only audit lecture courses. Students may not audit computer, dance, ESL, foreign language, or visual arts courses, music or voice lessons, or participate in any lab sections. Students must gain advance permission to audit from the course instructor. All full-time students may audit courses without a fee. All students submit an audit form to the Registrar by the date indicated on the academic calendar. Course audits do not receive credit or affect the GPA, but are recorded on the student’s permanent record.

Course Load and Overload

The regular program of study consists of four full courses (4, 5, or 6 credits each) per semester. In order to take a fifth course, a student must be in good academic standing and have the permission of his or her academic advisor. First-year students may enroll in a fifth course overload upon approval by the Dean of the College in their second semester of course work, or under exceptional circumstances. There is no extra charge for enrolling in course work up to a total of 23 credits if the student receives permission from his/her academic advisor and is in good academic standing (not on any type of probationary status, e.g. academic probation, continued probation, or suspension appeal).

Students who want to take 24 credits or more per semester must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA. The student also must petition the Academic Standards Subcommittee of the Curriculum Committee for approval to register for the additional credits and to the Dean of the College for exemption of an overload charge. The petition for semester credit overload form can be picked up and returned to the Registrar’s Office.

Credit/No Credit

All students, except students on academic probation, may elect one course each semester under the Credit/No Credit (CR/NC) grading system. This option does not include College Com-position courses. Juniors and seniors should consult their advisors if they are taking a course in their major under the CR/NC option.

A student must indicate her decision to take a course under the CR/NC option by the end of the fourth week of the semester. After that, she may not change her choice of course selected for CR/NC. Students must earn a final grade at “C” level or higher to earn credit for a course taken on a CR/NC basis. If a student is encouraged by the quality of her work in that course, she may change from a CR/NC option to a letter grade by submitting the signed form to the Registrar no later than the date indicated on the academic calendar for each semester.

Directed Study

A student interested in a Directed Study must present a detailed written proposal to the faculty member in the discipline to be explored. If the Directed Study either replaces a course not offered in that semester or is required by a given B.A. program, the appropriate faculty member in that discipline must be contacted. If the faculty member agrees to conduct the Directed Study, the student and faculty member must file the Directed Study proposal form with the Registrar no later than the last day of classes of the Add/Drop period. In the case of a Directed Study’s replacing a course not offered during that semester, it is expected that the faculty member will follow the syllabus of that course as offered regularly. If a Directed Study is a requirement of a B.A. program, or substitution of a requirement for a B.A. program, the proposal form must also be signed by the appropriate B.A. Coordinator. At the end of the semester, the proposal and/or syllabus and final paper or project will be used as the basis for awarding full-course credit.

Degree Residency Requirement

The last 32 credits of any baccalaureate degree program must be taken at Pine Manor College. A senior who has completed 32 semester hours or more at PMC and faces a shortage of 8 credits or fewer may complete her work at any regionally accredited school, with prior approval. If she is short three or more courses, she must return to PMC to complete degree requirements. Any and all exceptions to the Degree Residency Requirement must be approved by the Academic Standards Committee.


Students may complete degree requirements at the end of any semester or summer session. The College confers degrees only at Commencement and recognizes May, August, and December as graduation dates. Students must submit an application for graduation to the Registrar’s Office by the date indicated in the current academic calendar. This application confirms the student’s major, minor, degree, and spelling of name as it will appear on the diploma and Commencement program. Diplomas cannot be ordered for students who do not submit this application. Submission of this form generates a degree audit, which advises the student of her status with regard to completion of degree requirements.

Petition to Participate in Commencement as Degree-in-Progress

In certain circumstances, a candidate for a B.A. degree may petition the Registrar for permission to participate in Commencement exercises, even though she has not fully completed her baccalaureate degree requirements. Any student who wishes to petition for such permission must first meet the following conditions:
1. Have completed at least 124 of the 132 credits needed to graduate and/or need no more than two regular courses to complete her graduation requirements.
2. Be in good academic standing (have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0).
3. Demonstrate concrete plans to complete the remaining credits by December of the year in which she participates in Commencement.
4. Submit her request to the Registrar’s Office by the last day to withdraw with a grade of “W”, in the spring term.

Satisfactory Progress Toward the Degree

All students are expected to make appropriate progress towards the completion of their degree. Satisfactory progress is defined in terms of number of credits achieved per academic year, as follows:

  • First-year students have completed up to 31 credits.
  • Sophomores have completed between 32–63 credits.
  • Juniors have completed between 64–95 credits.
  • Seniors have completed 96 or more credits.

A student must maintain satisfactory academic progress and maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 to remain eligible for financial aid. International students must make satisfactory progress toward the degree to remain in compliance with “duration of status” requirements, as defined by Immigration and Naturalization Services.

Academic Warning

If at any time, in the judgment of an instructor, a student has been excessively absent, late in handing in work, or has failed to satisfy other course requirements, an instructor’s academic warning is sent to the student with a copy to the advisor and the Registrar’s Office.

Academic Alert

Any first-year student who has a GPA between 1.5 and 1.99 at the end of her first semester will be placed on Academic Alert, rather than Academic Probation, during her second semester. Academic Alerts will be used only for first-year students in their second semesters. A student on Academic Alert will not be subject to the restrictions imposed under Academic Probation. However, she will be required to meet regularly with her advisor to discuss her academic work and progress, in order that she can successfully raise her cumulative GPA to at least a 2.0. If at any point along the semester she fails to meet with her advisor according to an agreed-upon schedule, or if she receives multiple mid-semester warnings, then the student will be immediately removed from Academic Alert and placed on Academic Probation. If a student does not achieve a semester and cumulative GPA of at least a 2.0 by the end of her second academic semester and, if a full-time student, complete at least 12 credits in her second semester, she will be placed on Academic Probation, subject to all appropriate restrictions (see below). If a student is a part-time student, then only her semester and cumulative GPA will be the criteria for determining academic status.

Academic Probation and Continued Probation

Following their first semester, all students must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA and a 2.0 semester GPA and, if a full-time student, complete at least 12 credits each semester to be in good standing. If either the semester or cumulative GPA falls below 2.0, the student will be placed on Academic Probation. This policy applies to full- and part-time students. If a student is a part-time student, then only her semester and cumulative GPA will be the criteria for determining academic status. Special students whose GPA falls below 2.0 may be denied permission to register.

Students on Academic Probation may not: enroll in more than four 4-credit courses, cross-register, take a course on CR/NC basis, undertake a Directed Study, or play a varsity sport (per NCAA regulations). A student on Academic Probation is also required to meet regularly with her advisor to discuss his/her academic work and progress. The Academic Review Board notifies students in writing when Academic Probation is imposed, stating the terms of probation and the conditions under which probation will be removed or under which the student will be academically suspended.

Academic records of students on Academic Probation are reviewed at the end of each semester by the Academic Review Board. Academic Probation is removed when the semester and cumulative GPA is at least 2.0, provided a student has successfully completed a minimum of 12 credits, if she is a full-time student. Grades earned at Pine Manor College summer sessions affect a student’s cumulative GPA, and her Academic Probation status. However, attendance at another college’s summer session does not affect a student’s GPA or remove her from Academic Probation.

After one semester on Academic Probation a student may be placed on Continued Probation if she is making some academic progress but her semester and/or cumulative GPA remain below 2.0 and/or she does not complete at least 12 credits, if she is a full-time student. Depending on the rate of her academic improvement, it is possible for a student to remain on Continued Probation for more than one semester. However, a student who remains on Continued Probation for two semesters is potentially subject to Academic Suspension at the end of the second semester (see below).

Academic Suspension and Dismissal

A student on Academic Probation or Continued Probation is potentially subject to Academic Suspension if the semester GPA falls below the required minimum of 2.0 for a second consecutive semester. Any student, regardless of his/her academic status, can be placed on Academic Suspension if s/he earns a semester GPA of 0.0 or only slightly above for any given semester. A student may not enroll for the semester following his/her Academic Suspension, nor may she reside on campus during the semester of her Academic Suspension. If a student has begun a summer session class prior to her notification of Academic Suspension, s/he may complete the class. If s/he is residing on campus during the summer session, she must vacate her room immediately following the completion of the class. Following the period of her Academic Suspension, the student may petition for re-admittance to the College. If s/he is readmitted, she does so under Academic Probation and must achieve a satisfactory semester GPA of 2.0 in the semester of her return and, if a full-time student, complete at least 12 credits or be subject to Dismissal by the Academic Review Board. Academic Dismissals may be appealed by the student writing a letter of appeal to the Dean of the College.  The decision of the Dean shall be final.

The student has a right to appeal the Board’s decision regarding Academic Suspension to the Dean of the College. The appeal must be sent by the student, in writing, by the date specified in the Board’s letter. The appeal should contain any new information or extenuating circumstances that the student feels would mitigate the decision of the Board. If the Dean approves the appeal of the Academic Suspension, the student may return on Probation (see below). The student must receive a satisfactory semester GPA of 2.0 and, if s/he is a full-time student, complete at least 12 credits during the semester following the appeal or be subject to Dismissal by the Academic Review Board. Academic Dismissals may be appealed by the student writing a letter of appeal to the Dean of the College.

The College may inform parents that their sons/daughters have been placed on Academic Alert, Academic Probation, Continued Probation, or Suspension. To receive this information, a signed FERPA waiver must be on file with the registrar’s office, or the parents must demonstrate that their child is a claimed dependent for tax purposes.

Nonacademic Suspension and Dismissal

A student may be involuntarily suspended or dismissed from the College for nonacademic reasons. For information on academic suspension and dismissal, see above for details.
Students are responsible for upholding the rules and regulations of the College as defined in the Student Handbook Code of Conduct. Students are expected to understand and follow the policies contained in the Handbook.
The purpose of the Code is to:
1. Establish standards of personal conduct.
2. Provide for the advancement of knowledge and the development of ethically sensitive and responsive persons.
3. Recognize that students are adults and as such their relationship with the College community should reflect this.
4. Ensure fair treatment of students without regard to their race, color, national origin, gender, age, handicap, sexual orientation, or political or religious belief.
5. Recognize that students are members of society and the College community.

Voluntary Withdrawal

Students who wish to voluntarily withdraw from the College must meet with one of the following administrators:

  • Dean of the College
  • Dean of Student Life
  • Bursar
  • Registrar
  • Director of Financial Aid
  • International Advisor

Students should obtain the necessary forms and instructions from the Registrar’s Office.

Administrative Withdrawal Policy

The College administration has the authority to withdraw a student from the college for the following reasons:

  • Academic or disciplinary suspension for an academic term or specific amount of time.
  • Other reasons deemed appropriate by a proper Administrative Officer.


A student who withdraws voluntarily from the College may apply in writing to the Registrar for readmission. A student who has withdrawn for medical reasons will not be considered for readmission until a letter from her physician is received by the Dean of Student Life. Students who are withdrawn due to academic suspension must apply to the Dean of the College for readmission. Students who have withdrawn for any reason must be in good financial standing in order to be eligible for readmission. Contact the Registrar’s Office for the appropriate forms and the Business Office to determine financial standing.
Students who are accepted for readmission and return to the College after an absence of more than one calendar year must follow the major requirements of the catalog of the year of reentry.

Leave of Absence

A student may take a leave of absence from the College for a maximum of 180 days in any 12-month period.Leave of absence forms are available in the Registrar’s Office. All leave of absence requests must be approved in advance of the semester of leave by the appropriate College offices. Students receiving financial aid through Pine Manor College must consult the Financial Aid Office. If the student is a Title IV loan recipient, the Financial Aid office must consult with the student, prior to granting the LOA, the effects that the student’s failure to return from an LOA may have on the student’s loan repayment terms, including the expiration of the student’s grace period. Students are reminded that PMC grants and scholarships may be applied only to study at Pine Manor College. International students must consult the International Student Advisor or Dean of Student Life about visa status and eligibility for her I-20 during a leave of absence.

Each student is responsible for obtaining prior approval from the Registrar to receive credit for courses taken while on leave. The student is also responsible for discussing these courses with her faculty advisor to determine whether these courses will apply toward degree requirements. Students who have taken a leave of absence from the College for reasons other than Study Abroad and wish to return to the College must notify the Dean of the College or appropriate staff designee regarding their intention to return.

Confidentiality of Records

A Pine Manor College student has the right to inspect any and all official records, files, and data directly related to her, with certain exceptions, such as financial records of her parents and confidential recommendations received before January 1, 1975, or to which the student has waived her right of access. Student-related official records and data are incorporated into her folder kept in the Office of the Registrar and may be reviewed by appointment in the presence of a College administrator.

A student’s file is the property of Pine Manor College. Should a student take exception to anything she finds in her folder on the grounds that it is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise inappropriate, she has the right to challenge its inclusion and to seek to have it corrected or deleted. The student should submit a written request to the Registrar for a joint meeting of herself and any other appropriate person to discuss the matter.

The College does not permit the release of personally identifiable information in student records without the student’s written consent and signature, except to certain persons such as officials or teachers within the College who have a legitimate educational need to know the information. PMC is required to release recruiting information to the Department of Defense, if requested. The Department of Defense, in compliance with the Solomon Amendment, identifies the following information as student recruiting information: student name, address, telephone listing, birth date, level of education, and major. If a student does not want any portion of this information released, the student must notify the Registrar’s Office within two weeks of the beginning of the semester. When student information is released following a Department of Defense request, notice of the request and release of student information will be posted in the Office of the Registrar for the period of one academic year. The College prepares a student directory in which information about students is published as allowed under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Directory information may include name, major, residence hall room and phone number, home address, beginning semester at PMC, honors awards, and date of birth. Any student who does not want any portion of this information printed in the directory has until the end of the second week of classes each semester to notify the Registrar’s Office in writing.

Students are asked to fill out a release form any time they request that the College send a PMC transcript, letter of enrollment, graduation, or an official recommendation that has become a part of an official file to a third party. When making such a request, they have the right to request a copy of the document in question, or they may waive this right.

If the College should fail to comply with any of the requirements of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, the student may submit a written complaint to: The Family Policy and Regulations Office, US Department of Education, Washington, DC 20202.

The federal program SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) overrides the provisions of FERPA for purposes of information collected for international students holding F, M, and J visas. International students holding these visas should contact the International Student Advisor or the Registrar for details about the College’s responsibility regarding the confidentiality of their records.

Change of Address

Change of address and/or name should be authorized in writing immediately to the Registrar’s Office, 400 Heath Street, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467.

Affidavit of Massachusetts Voter Registration

In compliance with Massachusetts state law, Chapter 475 of the Acts of 1993, effective April 1995, affidavits of voter registration for registrants who reside in any city or town of the Commonwealth are available in the Office of the Registrar and at all locations where students may register for classes. Completed affidavits may be submitted to the Registrar, who will forward such affidavits directly to the town where the student registrant claims to reside.


Pine Manor College assumes no responsibility for theft, loss, or damage of personal property.