Select Page

Pine Manor College and Boston College Agreement – FAQ

Updated June 1, 2020

General Questions

Is this a merger with Boston College?

Neither Boston College nor Pine Manor College have called this opportunity a merger or a buyout as the creation of the Pine Manor Institute for Student Success at Boston College is an innovative path forward for both institutions that allows each to stay true to its mission and students. The Pine Manor Institute for Student Success is dependent on resources Boston College can provide and Boston College is dependent on resources from Pine Manor College. This coming together reflects assets and strengths from both organizations.

What is the Pine Manor Institute for Student Success?

The Pine Manor Institute for Student Success at Boston College will serve as a national model for outreach and academic support programs for underserved, low-income students. It will be guided by the legacy and ideals of Pine Manor College whose motto “Educating with Purpose” aligns with Boston College’s motto “Ever to Excel.” The Institute will be endowed through a gift of $50 million from Boston College and reflects the assets and strengths of both organizations.

What happens next?

Good question! For students, you should hear (if you have not already) from a faculty member or member of the student affairs/student success team to talk with you about all your options (described below). We will make sure each admitted, deposited, and currently enrolled Pine Manor College student has a good landing spot for Fall 2020 – either at Pine Manor College, a partner institution, or another school that meets your needs.

As for the next steps for the Institute, Pine Manor College and Boston College need to discuss and work out many details. For now, Pine Manor College’s priorities remain our students and Fall 2020. We will then begin thinking strategically about the Pine Manor Institute for Student Success at Boston College. 

Was the sale of the land considered to support the college and keep Pine Manor College as its own entity?

Yes, the President and Board of Trustees considered a sale of land. Due to significant complications, selling portions of the land alone was not sufficient to maintain Pine Manor College in its current existence.

Currently Enrolled Pine Manor College Students


What should I think about when it comes to next steps given the news about the integration of Boston College and Pine Manor College?

Pine Manor College’s Student Success team has assigned each student a “Point Person” who is a Pine Manor College faculty or staff member to help you in navigating your next steps. When you talk with your Point Person, they will go over the questions below to get you thinking about what is right for you as you look to complete your degree (at Pine Manor College or elsewhere). Pine Manor College has also compiled this website/document to help you and your family answer questions regarding next steps.

Questions to consider:


  • Do the institutions I am considering have my major (or a close match)?

GPA/academic standing

  • How will my GPA be calculated at my new school?
  • Will my GPA be a “start fresh” or will my Pine Manor College grades be calculated into a new GPA?
  • If I am already a transfer student, how will my credits from other institutions be counted towards my GPA if I were to transfer again?

Degree completion/credits

  • How many credits of mine will the other insitutions accept? How many credits are required to graduate from the other schools?
  • What courses will count towards requirements for my major (and General Ed., if not already completed at Pine Manor College)? What is my specific pathway towards my degree? How long will it take me to get my degree?

Costs/Financial aid package review

  • What will my total cost be?
  • Out-of-pocket expenses & loans?
  • What will be the costs of commuting to my new institution versus living on campus?
  • Does it make more financial sense to continue at Pine Manor College?

Residence life

  • Can I live on campus at the new school?
  • Is there a housing requirement?
  • Can I choose my own roommate?
  • Can students live on campus at the new insitution this fall semester given COVID-19?

Student athletes

  • Does the new institution have my sport?
  • Can I play my first year on campus at the new school or will I need to wait a year?
  • What is the process for connecting with coaches about the possibility of joining a team?

Health & wellness

  • How will my physical and mental health needs be met?
  • Does the institution offer health insurance?
  • Do I need to resubmit my immunization forms?

Student support & learning resources

  • Who are the people and what are the services that are available to support my success at the new insitution?
  • How do I access those people and services?
  • How will I become integrated into the new community?
  • Does the school have special mentorship and support programming/resources for me as a first-generation college student? Student of color? International student? Undocumented student? Parent? Student with housing/food insecurities?
  • What support is offered to students in finding part-time jobs during college and full-time jobs after graduation?

Co-curricular life

  • Do they have options/programs that are of interest to me (e.g., theater, dance, clubs/organizations, recreation activities, etc.)?
  • Does it cost money to attend campus events? What is the average cost of those activities?
  • What is the campus culture like on campus and in the classrooms?


What does this announcement mean for me as a current Pine Manor College student?

It means you have lots of options and we will work with you throughout the summer to find the right one. You should have heard from a Pine Manor College staff or faculty member to schedule a time to meet. If you have not heard from a staff or faculty member, please check your PMC email account or reach out to Lisa Rodrigues, Interim Dean of Student Affairs, at

The faculty or staff member will review your transcript and educational goals with you, describe each of the partnership institutions, and help you determine if you want to continue your work at Pine Manor College for 2020-2021 or transfer to a partner institution. You may also decide that your best next step is not staying at Pine Manor College or attending a partner institution, but going somewhere else or taking a gap year with a program like City Year. Pine Manor College’s faculty and staff will work with you through every step of the process and will help with outreach to the institutions and programs that may be the best fit for you.

If you stay at Pine Manor College: We will work with you to make sure you are enrolled in classes and have your FAFSA completed.

If you decided to attend a partner institution: We will make sure to go over your transcript and individual situation with you, connect you with support staff at the partner institution, and make sure you are enrolled in classes and have your financial aid forms submitted. By working with a partner institution, you will have assurances around transfer of credits, continuity, and clarity of graduation requirements.

If you decide to go to another college or university that is not a partner institution: We will help you complete their application package and financial aid forms.

If you receive benefits under the GI Bill or through U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs chapters: We will work to ensure a seamless benefits transition for you regardless of whether you remain at Pine Manor or transfer. 

If you decide to take a gap year and want to apply for City Year: We will put you in touch with their recruiting team who will talk with you virtually about your application and next steps. Once your gap year concludes, Pine Manor College’s staff can continue to assist you as you work to return to the classroom to complete your degree.

Most importantly, whatever you decide – talk to your Pine Manor College network about your options. Reach out to your student success coach, favorite faculty members, and ask them for their thoughts. You are not alone in making these decisions and, of course, you can stay right here on campus!

Who are the partner institutions?

What are the requirements for admission at our Partnership Institutions?

  • You will be admitted if you are in good conduct and academic standing (in most cases, a minimum GPA of 2.0).
  • If you are not in good academic standing, we will help you think through ways that you might begin to improve your GPA.
  • There is a streamlined application for you to complete and you will not be required to submit an application fee or materials such as essays or letters of recommendations.
  • Once we have your permission, we will share your transcript and connect you with staff at the partner institution(s), who will then talk with you about your degree progression. (i.e.; how many credits and requirements you would have remaining).

What about my General Education requirements?

If you have already fulfilled your general education requirements at Pine Manor College, then you will not have to fulfill them at a partner institution. 

If you have not fulfilled them at Pine Manor College, then staff at the partner institution will review your transcript and determine which of your Pine Manor College courses will work to fulfill their general education requirements. They will then let you know what courses you would still need to complete.

What about my major and major requirements?

While all of our majors (or close matches) are available at one or more of the partner insitutions, they also offer more majors and academic offerings than we have at Pine Manor College. Therefore, in some cases, they may have a major that more closely aligns with your particular area of interest. Before meeting with your Point Person, we recommend that you take time to review the partner institution’s academic offerings on the websites provided on this page.

What about accessibility services?

Pine Manor College’s accessibility services will support you throughout your transfer process, help you make the best decisions for your next steps, and serve as a bridge to accessibility staff at our partner institutions.

Will I receive a Pine Manor College degree or a Boston College degree if I stay at Pine Manor College?

Pine Manor College students who graduate in the next two years will receive a Pine Manor College degree and diploma.

Students who are eligible to apply to Boston College’s Woods College of Advancing Studies at Boston College and are accepted, will receive a degree and diploma from Boston College. Pine Manor College cannot guarantee Pine Manor College students who apply to Woods College of Advancing Studies at Boston College will be accepted. Boston College is not one of the partner insitutions as referenced on this page, as our relationship with Boston College is different than those with our partner institutions.

Will Pine Manor College’s fall classes be on-line or in-person?

The Senior Leadership Team has not made a decision about whether classes for the fall semester will take place in-person or on-line and will take into account public health guidance. When we do make the decision, it will be based on the safety of our students and our employees.

Likewise, most of our partner insitutions have also not made decisions on whether their fall classes will take place on-line or in-person.

Residential Life

What do I do about the items I left on campus when I moved out of the residence halls?

All student belongings have been packed and are being stored safely on campus.

When can I pick up my belongings?

Students who plan to stay at Pine Manor College in the fall, can leave their belongings on campus in storage for this summer (assuming classes are in-person this fall). Students who plan to transfer from Pine Manor College to another institution or take a gap year will get more information in early June about a process for scheduling a time to pick up their belongings.

What is the last date I can come to campus to get my stuff?

Students transferring out of Pine Manor College or students who graduated this Spring, the last day to come to campus to pick up your belongings or to work out a delivery plan will be June 26, 2020. Owing to the public health requirements, students will be required to have a pre-scheduled appointment to get your belongings and wear proper protective equipment, inclusive of a face mask.

What if I cannot make it back to campus to pick up my belongings?

If you cannot physically come to campus to pick up your belongings you may contact New England Student Services. They are supporting college students with storage and shipping services or a combination of the two services. To place an order, please go to their website at

If I transfer to a new school with a friend, can we be roommates at the new school?

This will be a question to ask the Office of Residence Life at the school you are transferring to. Your team of Pine Manor College faculty/staff supporting you with transferring can help address this question as well.

If I have additional questions about Pine Manor College housing, who should I contact?

You can reach out to Tyrone Newsome, Director of Residential Life, at

International Students

What will happen to my I-20?

If you stay at Pine Manor College, you need to process your I-20 in the same way as usual. You can work with Cyrus Konstantinakos, Student Success Coach, at, accordingly.

If you are transferring schools, please connect with Cyrus so he can help you with the paperwork.

Loans/school payments

What happens to my loans if I transfer schools?

If you choose to transfer, you will still be responsible for the student loans you borrowed for Pine Manor College, so it is important to address them. While your new school should automatically report your enrollment to your lender(s), you are responsible for following up. If you fail to do so, you could end up owing loan payments because your lenders think you are no longer in school. Make sure your lenders are aware that you are enrolled at a new school.

Even after transferring, you are still responsible for repaying loans taken out to cover the costs of your old school. Track all of the different loans you have taken out so you can make a plan for repayment upon graduation. That way, nothing will fall through the cracks when it comes time to repay your college loans.

When Pine Manor College’s financial aid team learns about your desire to transfer and where you are heading in the Fall, the financial aid counselors will schedule an exit interview with you to discuss MASS No Interest Loan (if applicable) and Federal Loans (if applicable). You can also reach out to Deborah Gravel at or Susan Gonzales at in the financial aid office throughout this process for advice on the transfer process and financial aid. Your Point Person can also connect you with the financial aid office at the partner insitution, so you have a contact in financial aid at your new school.

There is also find more information on student loans here:

Do I still have to pay my school balance?

Yes, you still need to pay your Pine Manor College school balance from 2019-2020, regardless if you stay at Pine Manor College or transfer.

Do I need to complete a new FAFSA if I transfer?

If you have completed a 2020-2021 FAFSA with Pine Manor College, you will only need to add the school code of the new school. Once the Financial Aid Office knows where students will be transferring, the Financial Aid Office can assist you in adding the school code.

Can I get work study at my new school?

If you get work-study as part of your new financial aid package, you can apply to work-study jobs at your new institution.

How will my financial aid package at my new school compare to Pine Manor College?

The financial aid office at your new school will determine your financial aid package. Most of the partner institutions have committed to endeavor to match the net cost of attendance (Bridgewater State University, Elms College, UMASS-Boston, and University of Texas-El Paso). Fisher College will match institutional financial aid awards up to 65% of Fisher College’s published tuition and fees. Framingham State University will apply its existing financial aid criteria in awarding aid to students transferring from Pine Manor College. Regis College will match institutional merit-based financial aid awards, and require the completing the FAFSA to determine need-based aid.

When do I have to begin paying back my student loans?

Once you graduate, drop below half-time enrollment, or leave school, your federal student loan goes into repayment. However, if you have a Direct Subsidized, Direct Unsubsidized, or Federal Family Education Loan, you have a six-month grace period before you are required to start making regular payments.

When your loan enters repayment, your servicer will automatically place you on the Standard Repayment Plan. You can request a different repayment plan at any time.

Your loan servicer will provide you with a loan repayment schedule that states when your first payment is due, the number and frequency of payments, and the amount of each payment.

Your billing statement will tell you how much to pay. Your monthly payment amount depends on your repayment plan. If you signed up for electronic communication, pay close attention to your email. Most loan servicers send an email when your billing statement is ready for you to access online.

What happens with my student loans if I decide to take a gap year or withdraw? 

You most likely will have to start repaying your loans, but financial aid advisors will provide exit counseling for each student making this choice to assess their individual circumstances.

How will these changes impact my VA benefits, such as Post-9/11 GI Bill® (GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at 

If you receive VA benefits at Pine Manor College, your benefits at another insitution are likely to continue, but may change. For example, the housing allowance at the Boston rate is more than the current Springfield rate (where Elms College is located). Please set up an appointment with your financial aid counselor to discuss these changes in more detail. Students planning to transfer will need to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility (if they do not already have one) or file a 22-1995 Change of Program request to transfer benefits to the new institution.

To learn more about education programs and compare benefits by institution, students can utlize the GI Bill Comparison Tool on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website:

What if I still have questions?

As always, the financial aid team is available to advice you throughout the process. When you talk with your Point Person about your next steps, if you decide to transfer to a new institution your Point Person will connect you with the Director, Deborah Gravel at or Assistant Director, Susan Gonzales at in the financial aid office to help advise you through the transfer process and financial aid.


Will there be athletics at Pine Manor College this upcoming school year?

If Pine Manor College has in-person classes and NCAA hosts conferences this season/academic year, Pine Manor College can offer Division 3 athletics based on the College’s ability to field teams. The College’s determination to field a team is based on roster sizes (which vary for each sport). At this time, we hope to have enough players to safely run Men’s Soccer, Women’s Basketball, Men’s Basketball, and Men’s Baseball. We know we will not have enough players for Women’s and Men’s Cross Country, Women’s and Men’s Volleyball, Women’s Soccer, and Women’s Softball, because many of those sports were in the rebuilding phases of their programs. Since coaches can no longer recruit new student-athletes and Pine Manor College is no longer accepting deposits, all coaches who were rebuilding teams felt the greatest impact. If you are a student athlete and plan to return to Pine Manor College for 2020-2021, please talk with your coach who will keep you informed about the ability for us to field your team this upcoming academic year at Pine Manor College.

Will I automatically make the team if I go to a partner institution?

No, each team is in a different situation related to roster sizes and needs. You should work with your coach at Pine Manor College and the coach at the partner institution to see if you can try out and be considered for the team. Coaches from both schools will work with student athletes individually, since each student athlete brings different skills and expertise to the game/field.

Does the College need to “release” me, so I can talk with coaches at another school?

Yes, your coach or John Griffith, Athletic Director, at or Julie Plant, Senior Women’s Administrator, at can give you the release form.

Who should I reach out to with questions regarding athletics and getting on a team at my new school? 

Students should reach out to the athletic director or coach at their new school or their Pine Manor College coach to find out more details on transfer requirements.

What makes a student “eligible” to play? 

Eligible students must be in good academic standing at Pine Manor College, meaning students who are not on academic probation or suspension. It is important to note that a student must meet the NCAA transfer criteria, which includes attending the new school for one year before you are eligible to play. This requirement can be waived through a “Transfer Exception;” however, you will need to talk with the compliance officer or Athletic Director at your new school to determine if the Transfer Exception is available to you. Your Pine Manor College coach can help you navigate the NCAA rules and transfer information.

For more information, the NCAA transfer link is:

Prospective Students

Is Pine Manor College closing?

Neither Boston College nor Pine Manor College have called this opportunity a merger or a buyout/closing as the creation of the Pine Manor Institute for Student Success at Boston College is an innovative path forward for both institutions that allows each to stay true to their mission and students. The Pine Manor Institute for Student Success is dependent on resources Boston College can provide and Boston College is dependent on resources from Pine Manor College. This coming together reflects assets and strengths from both organizations.

Pine Manor College has started a 2-year teach out plan, meaning students who have currently deposited at or formally committed to attend Pine Manor College or are currently matriculated may take classes at Pine Manor College in 2020-2021 and 2021-2022. Pine Manor College cannot enroll additional new students for the upcoming Fall 2020 semester; this includes applicants who Pine Manor College has accepted and who have not yet committed and students who have started their application with us, but not finished their application packages. Prospective students who have not yet applied cannot submit an application either.

What happens if I planned to come to Pine Manor College this Fall semester as a new student, but have not applied or been acceepted?

If you hoped to attend Pine Manor College, but have not yet applied or been accepted Pine Manor is no longer accepting new applications. If you need assistance finding another college for Fall 2020, please reach out to the Pine Manor College admissions team and they will assist you.

If you have been accepted or deposited, please see the next questions.

What are my next steps as an accepted student if I have not deposited or formally committed?

If you have been accepted to Pine Manor College but have not deposited or formally committed, you will no longer be able to attend Pine Manor College. Pine Manor College has entered into partnerships with Bridgewater State University, Elms College, Framingham State University, Fisher College, Regis College, UMass-Boston, and the University of Texas-El Paso. Each school has agreed to enroll most of Pine Manor College’s accepted students starting in Fall 2020. If you do not think a partner insitution would be a good fit for you, you could attend another school that you feel would be a better fit that has accepted you and offered you a competitive financial aid package.

Pine Manor College wants to help you through this time, so please reach out to your admissions counselor or athletic coach (if you are a student athlete) and we will assist you through this transition.

What are my next steps as a deposited student?


You have several options.

First, you may attend Pine Manor College for any length of time over the next two years. At the conclusion of the 2021-2022 academic year, Pine Manor College will no longer be offering degree programs, and you would have to transfer to another institution.

Second, Pine Manor College’s partner institutions have agreed to enroll most of Pine Manor College’s deposited students starting in Fall 2020. These partner institutions include:

Third, you could attend another school that you feel would be a good fit for you that has accepted you and offered you a competitive financial aid package.

Pine Manor College admissions counselors and athletic coaches will be in touch with you starting May 18, 2020, to schedule time to talk through plans. We want to help you through this time and find the best landing spot for you, be it Pine Manor College or another institution.

Will students be refunded for deposits and/or already made tuition payments?

Yes, Pine Manor College will return any payments students and families made towards the Fall 2020 enrollment if you decide not to attend the school. Please contact your admissions counselor if you have decided to no longer come to Pine Manor College.

What happens if a reporter contacts me?

As an accepted or new student, you are not obligated to talk with a reporter or the media, but you certainly may. If you like, you can direct reporters to Efrat Zinnar-Shavit, Director of Media and Publications, at or 617-799-6901.

Who can I talk with if I have additional questions?

Sam White, Dean of Enrollment Management, is happy to answer any and all questions. To contact Sam, please email to schedule a time.


What will happen to the campus?

Pine Manor College’s campus will continue as a place of learning. During the next two years, the campus will continue as Pine Manor College, and then it will transform into an extension of the Boston College campus. Boston College has discussed using the land for residential students, classes, administrative offices, and events much like we use the space today.

Will there be a physical place or home for alumnae/i?

Yes, our Pine Manor College campus will remain intact, and discussions will continue in the near future to determine the best location and space for Pine Manor College Alumnae/i.

Will I have a chance to visit campus again?

When COVID-19 physically distancing orders are eased, we will open the campus for visitors. At this time, the campus is closed to all guests and visitors to keep the students and essential employees on campus safe.

We are also hoping to host a reunion weekend in November, if public health guidance and physical distancing orders permit.

Will the Pine Manor College Bulletin continue?

Yes, the Pine Manor College Bulletin should continue for two years.

How and where will I be able to access my transcript if I need it in the future?

For the next two years, you can access your transcript on-line through the campus registrar’s website. Thereafter, Boston College will be the institution of record, so alumnae/i can obtain copies of their transcripts by reaching out to Boston College’s Office of Student Services.

What if I lose my Pine Manor ring or I want to buy a sweatshirt, can I buy these types if items?

Yes, the following companies will continue to offer Pine Manor College merchandise:

What is the current value of the endowment and what will happen to it?

The endowment is valued around $8.7 million and will continue to support donor-restricted purposes. Pending the completion of the final agreement with Boston College, after two years, the Pine Manor College endowment will be redirected and added to the $50 million endowment from Boston College to support the Pine Manor Institute for Student Success.

If you have additional questions or need additional information, please contact our Alumnae/i office at