Achievement Day 2017
A Celebration of Portfolios, Performances and Awards
Pine Manor’s Achievement Day is a festive opportunity to reflect and recognize our students’ achievements in the past year.
This year’s ceremony opened with welcoming remarks from President Thomas M. O’Reilly followed by remarks by the Dean of the College, Diane Mello-Goldner, Ph.D. Before presenting the student’s awards, Dean Mello-Goldner recognized the work by all members of the Pine Manor faculty – “Students receiving awards today owe significant part of their success to their professors” she said, therefore the first award that was presented was the Ruth Allinger Gibson ’26 Teaching Award for Excellence in Teaching. Voted by Pine Manor students, the award was presented to Hannah Baker-Siroty, Assistant Professor of English: Writing and Literature.
The second award presented was the newly established Pam Palmer Award recognizing Excellence in Mentoring and Support of Student Success. This award winner was selected by students who submitted nominations for a faculty or staff member who best exemplifies the following qualities that Pam was known for:
- never giving up on students
- providing support across all areas of student’s life (Academic and Non-Academic)
- following up with students over time
- helping students reach their full potential
This inaugural award was presented by Pam Palmer’s son, Greg Palmer, who attended with his wife and two daughters, to Michele O. Ramirez, Ph.D., Professor of Psychology, Assistant Dean for Foundational Learning.
The Presentations of Awards
Trustee Awards for Exemplary Senior Portfolio – presented by Robert Utzschneider, Chair of the Board of Trustees, to Oumou Cherif, Yaye Cherif, Adrienne Mojica, Ashley Piermarini and Patricia Pierre. Their portfolios stood out as the best as evaluated by the portfolio review committee.
presented by program faculty
Biology and Chemistry
- Award for Achievement in Chemistry – Hilary Kee
- Awards for Distinction in Biology – Yaye Cherif Monserrat Jifkins
- David P. Boyd Award for Academic Progress and Transformational Growth – Alexis McClesky
- Perkin Merit Scholarship – Pamela Fernandez
Business and Management
- Joan D. Osterweil ’50 Award for Outstanding Achievement in Economics – Yaye Cherif
- Achievement Awards in Business and Management – Oumou Cherif Patricia Pierre
- Award for Distinguished Work in Communication- Tashiana Wolfe
- Achievement in Technology Award – Karoline D’Brito
Early Childhood: Education, Health and Leadership
- Joan Osterweil ’50 Award for Student Teaching – McCala McDonald
- Excellence in Education Awards – Tiana Jordan Shanae Saddler
- Leadership in Early Education Awards – Leset Sales Gary Stanley
- Beverly Alexander Award in Writing – Wendy M. Napoleon
- Audrey I. Stein Awards for Merit and Improvement in Mathematics – Hyeon Ji Beag Shaquanda Middleton
- Achievement Award in Mathematics – Haoyu Lin
- Dorothy McGuire Award for Excellence in Theatre – Xiaotong (TONG) Ye
- Award for Distinction in Dance – Legacy Guinyard
- Award for Distinguished Work in Psychology – Adrienne Mojica
Sociology and Political Science
- Mildred Hodgkin Mahoney Award in Sociology – Cathryn White
- Pauline Tompkins Award in Political Science – Elizabeth Anderson
- Award for Excellence in the Visual Arts – Truc (Mina) Lam
Announcement of the 2017 Student Class Commencement Speaker – presented by Hannah Baker-Siroty, M.F.A., Assistant Professor of English: Writing and Literature, Lisa Rodrigues, Associate Dean of Student Life and Community Engagement, and William Stargard, Ph.D., Professor of Art History and Alpha Chi Advisor. This year Student Class Speaker is Yaye Cherif.
Alpha Chi – William Stargard, Ph.D., Professor of Art History and Alpha Chi Advisor, called all Alpha Chi students, to be recognized and presented the seniors their Alpha Chi medallions to wear at Commencement.
Student Affairs Awards
– presented by Staci Weber, Ph.D., Dean of Student Affairs
The Dean of Students Award recipients for positive leadership, growth, and commitment to enhancing Pine Manor College were Kendra Williams and Siera Robinson
Emerging Student Leader Award recipients for a first or second year Pine Manor College student who has shown exemplary leadership and positive contribution through their service, scholarship, and commitment to the overall mission of the college were Raphael Baez and Ellis Reid
Community Engagement Award recipient for a student whom best uplifted the Pine Manor College community through actively engaging in work, service, and program attendance on and off campus was Tamara Brown
We also enjoyed Student Exhibits and Presentations:
- First Year Experience: Community Day Projects
- Psychology 101: Movie Article Critiques
- Cross-Cultural Psychology: Ethnic Group Projects
- Community-Based Research Poster Presentations
- Principles of Physics 1
- Exhibition of Student Art Work
Presentations and Performances in the Theatre on stage
- Theatre: TED Style Talk
- Theatre: Improv!
- First Year Experience: Showcase of First Year Students
- Multicultural Dance Performances
- Surprise Performance by Staff and Faculty members
The celebrations were followed by the traditional Community Dinner.
Enjoy some of the highlights of Achievement Day 2017 through our photo album.