Massachusetts Immunization Law
MASSACHUSETTS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
IMMUNIZATION REQUIREMENTS FOR COLLEGE STUDENTS
105 CMR 220.00 IMMUNIZATION OF STUDENTS BEFORE ADMISSION TO SCHOOL (7/24/98)
105 CMR 220.600 Immunization Requirements For Postsecondary Students
No student, as specified in 105 CMR 220.400(C) and 220.600(B), shall attend a postsecondary institution without a certificate of immunization, as specified in 105 CMR 220.600(C). For purposes of 105 CMR 220.600, “postsecondary institution” shall mean a college, university, institute or school accredited as a postsecondary institution by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
The following students are subject to the requirements of 105 CMR 220.600(C):
(1) full-time undergraduate and graduate students:
(2) any full or part-time student attending an institution of higher education in Massachusetts while on a student or other visa, including a student attending or visiting classes or programs as part of a formal academic visitation or exchange program.
Each student subject to 105 CMR 220.600(B) must present a certificate of immunization that the student has received the following immunizations:
(1) two doses of measles, mumps and rubella vaccine(s) given at or after 12 months of age, and one month apart;
(2) a booster dose of Td (Tetanus/diphtheria) within the last ten years (Tdap is currently recommended); and
(3) 3 doses of hepatitis B vaccine
The requirements of 105 CMR 220.600 shall not apply where:
(1) the student provides written documentation that he or she meets the standards for medical or religious exemption set forth in M.G.L. c.76, § 15C
(2) the student provides appropriate documentation, including a copy of a school immunization record indicating receipt of the required immunizations; OR
(3) in the case of measles, mumps, rubella, and hepatitis B, the student presents laboratory evidence of immunity.
Whenever possible, such immunizations are to be obtained prior to enrollment or registration.
However, students subject to 105 CMR 220.600 may be enrolled or registered provided that the required immunizations are obtained within 30 days of registration, and provided, further, that the postsecondary institution has policies and procedures for ascertaining which students have failed to obtain the necessary immunizations within 30 days, and for taking appropriate follow up action to ensure compliance with 105 CMR 220.000.
Regulatory Authority: 105 CMR 220.000: M.G.L. c 76, §§ 15 and 15C; c. 111, 5,6, and 7.