Select Page

Academic Questions

Frequent Academic Questions

What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children’s education records. These rights transfer to the student when they reach the age of 18 or attend a school beyond the high school level. Students must give permission for anyone, including parents and family members, to review their education record.

How do I get access to my student’s academic progress and grades?

FERPA protects the privacy of student education records and students must grant consent for anyone to access these records. 

Students may waive their FERPA protection, allowing parents/guardians to view their educational records, by completing the FERPA Waiver Form. Students are not required to waive any protection.

What dates do students have off for holidays/breaks?

For a calendar of the academic year at Pine Manor College, please click here.

How can I tell if my student is going to class?

For a calendar of the academic year at Pine Manor College, please click here. Although some classes may take attendance, this information isn’t readily available. Talk with your student if you are concerned about their class attendance, and encourage them to be proactive in attending classes in order to get important material. Additionally, you may contact a Student Success Coach, found here.

How does my student register for class?

Signing up for classes (called “course registration”) happens during New Student Orientation for new students. If your student is interested in discussing potential classes before arriving to campus, please contact Melissa Yoffe, Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, at

Students meet with their Academic Advisor each semester once they are at Pine Manor College to register for classes in-person.

Who helps students with physical or learning disabilities?

Students with physical or learning disabilities should connect with Accessibility Services

Students requesting reasonable accommodations and/or services must submit documentation of a disabling condition to verify eligibility under the Americans with Disabilities Amendment Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and Accessibility Services’ own guidelines. It is strongly recommended that students complete their intake appointments during the summer, prior to their first semester. Students should submit their documentation to Accessibility Services and schedule an intake appointment as early as possible.

Students seeking alternative access to print materials and students requesting real-time captioning or sign language interpreting must notify Accessibility Services upon acceptance of admission to the university.

My student sometimes struggles in class. How can help?

Pine Manor College is ready to assist students with a variety of academic needs, whether it is studying for an exam or writing an essay. Students can utilize a variety of academic services, such as on-campus tutoring, and work with their Student Success Coach, found here.

My student doesn’t know/is unsure of their career path.

The Career Development Office is designed to help students at any point in their career path, whether they are unsure of their desired career/major, looking for a summer internship, or getting ready to graduate from Pine Manor College.